How to get accurate results?
Simple tricks to get the highest quality results from webcam eye-tracker.
To get the best webcam eye-tracking results, please follow these simple recommendations:
- Webcam MUST be mounted on a screen that displays stimuli. Webcam image MUST be very steady - make sure the whole setup does not shake, eg. do not keep laptop on your knees.
- Panelist MUST sit in front of the webcam. Webcam SHOULD be slightly below panelist's eye level.
- Panelist's face SHOULD be in good lightning. The lightning SHOULD NOT change during the whole test. There MUST be only one face catched by the webcam.
- Panelist's eyes MUST be clearly visible in webcam video. Panelist's face size SHOULD be at least 1/3 of webcam picture. We recommend panelist NOT TO wear glasses if possible. Glasses MUST NOT limit pupils visibility for the webcam.
- Panelist SHOULD sit comfortably and SHOULD try to keep head still. It is highly recommended to use a chair with head rest - Panelist should rest her/his head. Otherwise Panelist could support his/her head on his/her arm.
- The test SHOULD be run on a webcam providing good image quality: resolution at least 640x480, low image granularity. We recommend at least 720p@30 FPS webcam.
- The test SHOULD be run in Google Chrome web browser. Web browser SHOULD have only one tab/windows with the eye-tracking test to make sure most of the CPU power is available for the eye-tracking AI.
- The test SHOULD be run on a fast, modern PC/Mac. At least 3 GHz two-core Intel i5. This requirement is met by most PC/Mac/Laptops released after 2017. If you are using a laptop, it SHOULD be plugged to the power adapter to make sure full CPU power is available.
- All kind of application and system notifications SHOULD be disabled during the test. We recommend enabling Windows feature called "Focus assist" or similar one on Mac OS.
What accuracy can you get with the right setup?
In average you should expect around 100 px precision.
For more details please check the following articles about webcam eye-tracking: