Webcam Eye-tracking Hardware and Software Requirements
Find out what kind of equipment you need to use webcam eye-tracking.
PC/Laptop/Mac(Book) with a webcam and Chrome/Edge/Firefox.
RealEye System Requirements
This kind of setup provides the best eye-tracking data:
- The eye-tracking sampling rate of at least 30 Hz, up to 60 Hz.
- The best accuracy and precision thanks to fast face landmark detection.
Recommended Participant Hardware and Software:
- 1080p @ 30FPS or 720p @ 60 FPS webcam, with good quality image.
- Updated Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browser. Firefox is highly NOT recommended.
- Updated Windows 10 or macOS X.
- 4-core Intel processor, 3 GHz or faster, 5th gen. or later.
- If using a laptop then it MUST be plugged into the power cord.
- 8 GB of RAM with at least 4 GB of memory available (not used).
- DirectX 12 graphics card with updated drivers. Integrated Intel Graphics (gen. 5 or later) is fast enough.
- Internet connection speed 20 Mbps | 5 Mbps (for live website testing especially, can be less for image/video testing).
This kind of setup lets collecting eye-tracking data but:
- The eye-tracking sampling rate may be below 20 Hz, so RealEye Dashboard will not provide any data for fixations.
- Accuracy and precision may be significantly lower because of slow face landmark detection.
Minimal Hardware and Software Requirements
- 640x480p @ 15 FPS webcam, with poor quality image.
- Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Windows 7/10, MacOS X, Linux (eg. Ubuntu).
- At least 0.5 GB of RAM memory available.
- Min. resolution 1024x600 px.
- Internet connection speed min. 5 Mbps | 1 Mbps (for live website testing especially, can be less for image/video testing).
- It's recommended to make sure other software is not consuming CPU or RAM.
- Live websites and hosted sessions usually require a faster CPU than images or video-type studies.
- Firefox is highly NOT recommended because it does not support hardware acceleration.