For study participants
If you were invited to take part in the eye-tracking test (even as a part of a bigger study), but you have doubts about enabling webcam access, please read the explanation below on how the RealEye webcam eye-tracking works.
TL;DR: WE NEVER RECORD YOUR FACE or any image from your webcam
Webcam eye-tracking is an innovative method that predicts a person's gaze point. We use the computing power of a regular PC/laptop to run AI (Deep neural network) that analyzes images coming from a webcam. The AI detects a panelist's face, pupils and predicts a gaze point. All of this is performed entirely in a web browser in real-time. Thanks to this, panelists do not have to worry about their privacy. We do not send any image or sound to our servers. We only store the gaze point predictions from our AI in the form of basic text data similar to "Timestamp: 10, GazePointX: 200, GazePointY: 330".
How to take part in such a test:
- use a desktop device like laptop/PC/Mac(book),
- use Chrome web browser,
- make sure you have a good quality, working webcam plugged in,
- make a webcam very steady and below your eyes level,
- make sure you're in good lighting conditions - the light source is in front of you and illuminates your face evenly,
- don't rush through the calibration process,
- if you wear glasses, make sure there are no reflections on them (glasses MUST NOT limit pupils visibility for the webcam),
- try to keep your head still during the whole test,
- if you're using a laptop, make sure it's plugged in,
- (for website testing) please, share your screen or browser window (NOT a tab) when asked.
Your response is anonymous - we assign a participant Id to you, and based on that, we differentiate the results from each other. At the end of a test, you may be asked about your name, gender, and age - this part is never obligatory, but providing your gender and age data can help analyze demographic results.
See how a sample study looks like from a participant's perspective:
We were trusted by many researchers from universities all over the world, here you can find some of them: